Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday stuff


Erin Quintana of RuJu (http://www.ruju.etsy.com/) makes really cool bags and accessories and opened shop in July 2008. Read below to learn more about her and check out her Etsy shop to see the awesome stuff she creates! (pictured above is Erin's Flower Orbs Tote, one of my favorites from her shop)

Describe your work/items you create in 3 words:
Useful, fresh and funky

How and when did you first get into creating your work?
First, as in the way beginning. Hmmmm. Let me think. Well, when I was little, I was never very interested in toys. Instead of baby dolls and easy bake ovens I got Fisher Price looms and pot holder makers. I used to love hooking rugs (the ones that came with the pattern printed on the material). In third grade my best friend and I would sit in her living room with our hermit crabs *runnning* around on the floor knitting. I never made it past the regular knit stitch...but we sure had fun.

In ninth grade I took a clothing construction class in high school. That was all it for me. From there I started sewing for fun.

Senior year I went to the vo-tech for photography. Now I have a full studio, and do portrait work as well as my sewing and crocheting.

Do you sell on any other online venues besides Etsy?
I just did my first craft show in early December '08. It was fantastic! I loved getting to meet the other Etsians and meeting others who love to create! I can not wait for spring so that I can do more.

3 things that inspire you:
Number one is by far is my children. The first thing that I made for my Etsy shop was the Hook 'N' Go diaper bags. I thought it was brilliant! Being a mom is a tough job, and anything that can make that job a little bit easier is fantastic.

Number two is visual inspiration. Anything shiny or bright, or the right combination of colors will spark and idea in my brain. For example my football bag. Who would have thought that a spiky bright blue football would make a perfect make-up case?!

Number three would have to be all of the other crafters/designers/creators on Etsy. I love pouncing through the shops and seeing what wonderful work other people make, and to see how successful you can be providing unique creative things. It inspires me to go for it!

Selling your work on Etsy, or online in general, can mean a lot of competition. Are you intimidated by this? Why or why not?
Absolutely not! The one great thing about handmade items is no two are ever the same. Sure, getting your name out there is a lot of work. But if you are willing to put in the time and do the work (which I am) people will find me.

2 comments:

RuJu said...

Thank you so much for featuring me!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you Erin for being featured! You go girl!!