Friday, January 23, 2009

A new week....


I'm sorry but I've been slacking off and not posting a new artist every week like I wanted to. Actually I've been BUSY! Just with other things though...work, my puppy, the house... However, this week I am featuring Michelle of Spoonful of Chocolate (www.spoonfulofchocolate.etsy.com) from Tempe, Arizona. Michelle makes everything from yummy chocolate-covered spoons to unique handbags and donates 100% of her proceeds to help out her father. Read more about her...

Describe your work/items you create in 3 words:
Unique, Funky, Handmade

How and when did you first get into creating your work?
Ever since I was a little girl I have had a creative streak in me. I think I may have gotten it from my parents. My mother was accepted to Art school when she was younger, but couldn't take up the offer because she had to help support her family that had just fled Czechoslovakia. Growing up, my father would always be doing something- from building our house, to making a mosaic porch table to building an authentic rock wine cellar/bar!

I remember how I couldn't wait to get up every morning and go to Art class! I would spend hours drawing and coloring and cutting things out of construction paper. I got second place in my high school art show for a sculpture I had made. A few years ago I studied abroad in Switzerland. I had such an amazing experience that when I got back I spent my entire summer perfecting my scrapbook.
The past couple of years I have become very interested in different crafts. I bought a sewing machine and started making everyone retro-style apron sets that came with matching dish gloves. I also bought a wood burner and made my father a sign for his wine cellar. My boyfriend has gotten many things from frames to a personalized pillow. I think I have an eye for color and matching. I manage to get attached to almost everything I make!

Do you sell on any other online venues besides Etsy?
Nope.

3 things that inspire you:
My boyfriend, fabric and my father. I ultimately started my business to help my father who is about to lose his house because of family issues. All profits go towards the house.

Selling your work on Etsy, or online in general, can mean a lot of competition. Are you intiminated by this? Why or why not?
A little, I know I have unique products and they are of good quality- it's the marketing part that scares me!

No comments: