Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just an idea

Bronze and Gold Paper Butterfly Earrings
Origami Ornament Set
Ok, so since I am new to blogging and trying to make this one interesting and fun, I thought it would be a good idea to feature different artists from around the world who have recently set up their Etsy shops...we are all familiar with the patience, time and hard work it requires to build up your shop from the ground up and promote your unique work.

This week I would like to introduce Suanne of Paper Displays of Affection (www.PaperAffection.etsy.com). She opened up shop last September and I just love her super-creative, cute origami designs! And so original too (I sure know I've never seen any jewelry made with origami!). Above are two of my favorite items from Suanne's shop!

Describe your work/items you create in 3 words:
origami. jewelry. awesomeness (or Paper Displays of Affection).

How and when did you first get into creating your work?

Its been about 13 years now since that fourth grade class where I made my first crane. I first got into origami because I had this problem with sitting still when I was a kid. I discovered that folding paper helped me concentrate in class while I took notes. This was especially true in college and during long lectures and I honestly believe I did better in class when I was folding! As I practiced more and more, I realized that if there wasn't a real use for my origami models, that they'd all go to waste - and I couldn't let that happen! So I set out to make my origami functional - jewelry was my first thought, and I'm exploring other mediums.

Do you sell on any other online venues besides Etsy?

No, but I occasionally do commissions on DeviantArt (www.pandacub143.deviantart. com) which is where I started out before Etsy. It's an artist's community and has some super talented people!

3 things that inspire you:
Colors. Other artists (jewelry and paperfolding and more). Intelligent conversation.

Selling your work on Etsy, or online in general, can mean a lot of competition. Are you intiminated by this? Why or why not?

I am and am not at the same time. I feel that I really offer a very unique spin on jewelry that you can't find in many other places (the people who do exactly what I do I can count on one hand). At the same time jewelry is a saturated market and it's hard to make someone fall in love with an item without picking it up - my items don't have that bling factor :) But I stand behind what I make, love the process, and I know that no one else can offer you the same product.

Thank you Suanne!

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Great interview...I love that she used the word awesomeness....I love the earrings..great stuff...
doodlestar.etsy.com
www.creativenachos.com

Nadia said...

nice! i love the earrings. i once bought stuff to do origami jewelry but never touched it lol my hands are too clumsy for such teeny weensy bits of paper. so kudos for being able to make such beautiful things!



www.goodnightlolasue.etsy.com